It’s no longer news that everything is going digital. With the anticipation of 5G and Internet of things, it is expected that in the next decade everything would have been connected to the internet. Organisations are largely tilting towards digitalizing operations and recruitment objectives are fast shifting towards ICT skills than other fields.
This means that there is a digital revolution that is sweeping off the usual classroom learning and degrees to online skill acquisition and certifications. Below are top 10 skills on demand in Nigeria.
1. Content Development: Content development may refer to: Authoring, originating content for any medium. Content designer, designing content for any medium. Content developers often use their skills, knowledge and experience in software and programming as well as web-based technology, to create and update content for websites
2. Graphic Design: Graphic design, also known as communication design, is the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas and experiences with visual and textual content. It is the act of crafting scenes and images using visual media such a photographs drawings, and computer-generated images. Graphic Designers are professionals whose works are used to market products and ideas.
3. Social Media Management: Social media management allows brands to engage consumers quickly and efficiently in order to address their concerns or reward them for fan content. It includes social listening, social analytics and social engagement. Uisng a wide-range of available tools, a social media manager can help you schedule and analyze your social media marketing campaigns.
4. Web Development: Web development also known as website development broadly refers to the tasks associated with developing websites for hosting via intranet or internet. The web development process includes web design, web content development, client-side/server-side scripting and network security configuration, among other tasks and mainly deals with the non-design aspect of building websites, which includes coding and writing markup. Web development ranges from creating plain text pages to complex web-based applications, social network applications and electronic business applications.
5. Video Editing: Video editing is the process of manipulating and rearranging video shots to create a new work. Editing is usually considered to be one part of the post production process. It includes cutting segments (trimming), re-sequencing clips, and adding transitions and other Special Effects.
6. Project Management: project management as “the application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to a broad range of activities in order to meet the requirements of a particular project. Project management is critical to the success of every organization. Hence, Project managers face constant pressure to cut costs, implement projects quickly, and deliver high quality.
7. DatabaseManagement: Database management has become more important as the volume of business data has grown. Rapid data growth creates a wide variety of negative conditions, including poor application performance and compliance risk, to name a few. Database management comprises a number of proactive techniques to prevent the deleterious effects of data growth. A Database Management System allows a person to organize, store, and retrieve data from a computer. It is a way of communicating with a computer’s “stored memory. Database administrators use specialized software to store and organize data.
8. Writing: Writing is a medium of human communication that represents language and emotion with signs and symbols. In most languages, writing is a complement to speech or spoken language. A writer is a person who uses written words in various styles and techniques to communicate their ideas. Writers produce various forms of literary art and creative writing such as novels, short stories, poetry, plays, screenplays, and essays as well as various reports and news articles that may be of interest to the public.
9. BusinessDevelopment: Business development refers to activities designed to expand your organization’s reach into a new market. The priority of a Business Development Executive is to assist their companies acquire new customers and sell additional products or services to existing ones; this means the role is a crucial one for any business with the ambition to expand or the necessity to diversify its clientele.
10. Network Engineering: Network Engineering is one of the fastest growing career opportunities in the tech industry. Network engineers are technology professional who has the necessary skills to plan, implement and oversee the computer networks that support in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services. Their priority is to assist their companies acquire new customers and sell additional products or services to existing ones; this means the role is a crucial one for any business with the ambition to expand or the necessity to diversify its clientele.
This is not to say that your B.Sc/B.A, M.Sc/MBA is not relevant. However, you need more than that to stay afloat/survive in the job market. You would be better prepared to arm yourself with one or more of these skills. i.e. let’s say you have been a professional/successful sales representative, you would be better prepared for your next job if you have digital market skills to go with.
The world is moving at top speed. You also must arm yourself with relevant skills and set your career on ‘demanding’ mode. That’s the point!
The key to success is action. start now to join the top earners now.